The realization that you or a loved one is aging and can no longer care for themselves without assistance is hard to handle. For family members of seniors, the idea that those who raised us and shaped who we are as adults can no longer manage on their own is heartbreaking. To the seniors themselves, it can feel demeaning, as they have been in control of their own lives for so long. Homecare provides a happy medium for those who are in need of additional assistance, but do not want to move to a retirement community or nursing home.
Homecare services offer a wide range of different resources for seniors who want to get the assistance they need, but also want to remain in their own home. These services can range from help with transportation needs, housekeeping, or even live-in care if the level of assistance required necessitates it. There are many benefits to choosing care in one’s own home, as opposed to moving to a nursing home or retirement community. One of the biggest advantages to in-home care is that you only have to obtain the services that you actually need. This can reduce the cost of senior care and can also make the aging process easier on the seniors themselves.
What follows are just a number of reasons that seniors should seriously consider homecare if they are in need of assistance.
- Aging in place. Seniors often find changes in scenery to be more traumatizing than younger folks do. Many seniors have lived in their homes for decades and their homes are rife with good memories and familiarity. Psychologically, the ability for seniors to “age in place”, or transition through the later stages of life, in their own homes and familiar surroundings has a positive impact on the psyche of the senior, making dealing with age-related decline a lot easier.
- Care in familiar surroundings. Most seniors, if given the choice, would prefer to stay in their homes as long as they can. With homecare services, seniors can stay in their homes and get the care they need without having to leave the place they have lived in for so long. Even those who need extensive care and assistance can find the services they need through a homecare provider, allowing for the freedom of remaining in one’s own home, despite decline or disability.
- Seniors feel more freedom. When a senior lives in a nursing home, much of their day is already structured and they often feel as if they have lost control of their independence. Seniors who can get the care they need, while remaining in the home, may feel more freedom in their ability to choose how they structure their time and daily activities.
- Personalized, individualized services. When a senior moves into a retirement community or nursing home, they are usually put into a one-size-fits-all program. When you choose in-home care, you have the ability to create a personalized care plan for the senior in your life that takes into account their needs, lifestyles and other obligations. This personalized care makes the experience of having homecare much easier as the care plan is tailored to the exact needs of your loved one, not a one-size-fits-all plan that all who enters the facility must follow.
- Remain involved with friends and community. Many seniors have developed lifelong friendships and connections with people and their local communities. By choosing homecare, the senior can still remain active in their community. If they love bingo, for example, they can still play in their favorite league, even if they can no longer drive themselves to the event. Friends and loved ones who are important members of the senior’s life are able to keep active, normal involvement in the senior’s life. Being able to maintain normal life and community relationships is incredibly important to seniors’ overall psychological wellbeing.
Carefect homecare services is a leader in the non-medical in-home senior care. We understand that aging seniors have varied needs and want to remain as independent as possible. We provide compassionate, high quality homecare services that range from personal care and housekeeping needs to live-in help. We offer competitively priced services that are top-notch and industry-leading. Contact us today to schedule a free in-home assessment to see how we can help you get the assistance the senior in your life needs. We can help determine how to make the home as safe for the senior as possible, as well as to help develop a care plan that meets the needs and budget of the senior and their family.